Firostefani turned out to be a great place to stay. There are good restaurants and access around the halfway point of the walking path that links Fira with Imerovigli. Yet it’s a quieter area, so you can easily get to Fira for the main shopping, restaurants, and nightlife without having to be right in the middle of it. The walk is about 10/15 minutes to either one depending on exactly where you stay.
I didn’t venture out a whole lot, but I did take the bus to Kamari a couple of times. Kamari has a black sand beach and is a nice long stretch with shops and restaurants. A bus leaves from the main depot in Fira about every half hour and costs 1,60 euros each way. I don’t recall the hours exactly, but it started pretty early in the morning and ran pretty late into the evening.
A few places I’d recommend are (they’re all on Google maps);
Ginger Sushi Lounge – Firostefani
Svoronos Bakery – Fira (next door to the McDonalds)
Villa Fotini – Firostefani
For much more information on my travels be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel and follow along on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter. All the links are in the top right of the page.
Costs for this stop…
This was a 5-night stay…
- Accommodation – $357.19**
- Getting around locally – $7.62 (2 round trips to Kamari from Fira)
- Living expenses, including any day trips, groceries, and eating out – $284.32 (only eating out this time since I was staying in a hotel)
- Mobile phones (I’m carrying a US line and an Italian line.) – $7.40
- SafetyWing Insurance – $11.52
- Total $ 668.05/ 5 nights = $133.61 per
Transportation can be a big expense and I feel that would vary too much, so I’ve left it out along with any incidental/one time costs.
- I convert local currency to USD after the trip so there will be a slight variation from the real-time conversion. For this stop, it was converted at USD 1.19 = 1 Euro
** The coronavirus pandemic likely kept rates a little lower than normal.
Please let me know what you think. Your feedback means a lot for me to make this as useful as possible for the most people possible. I appreciate your support!