I didn’t know much about Railay Beach until getting to Krabi province, but it sounded like a place I’d like to visit, and it was easy enough to get to, so I thought why not. I’m so glad I did too, even though it’s extremely quiet, it’s a beautiful place with great people and a lot to do. I’ll definitely be looking to return someday!
This was a 7-night stay…
- Accommodation – $158.19* (additional information below)
- Getting around locally – $0
- Living expenses – $175.83 (groceries and eating out)
- Activities – $3.22 (entry to Phra Nang Nai Cave/Diamond Cave)
- Mobile phone/data – $28.03
- Medical insurance = $27.41** (additional infromation below)
Total $392.68 / 7 nights = $56.10 per
Transportation to and from varies too much, so I’ve left it out along with most incidental/one-time personal costs; in this case, I took a taxi from Krabi Town to the Ao Nam Mao Pier for about US$10.19 and paid a pier fee of about $0.30 (10 baht), where the hotel boat brought me to the floating pier in East Railay. All other standard day to day expenses are included to give an idea of how much basic living costs in the area. Groceries will sometimes include basic personal care items (i.e. toothpaste, deodorant, contact solution/drops, etc.).
- All 7 nights were at the Avatar Railay Resort (rooms were less expensive than usual during my stay)
- I booked the first 4 with Expedia for $106.40 (upgraded room with direct pool access. The pool was filthy the first 3 days and when they did clean it, I think I was just over it; I never used the pool and can’t recommend the upgrade)
- I booked the next 2 nights in the base-priced room through Agoda for $32.50
- The last night I paid the hotel directly 600 baht ($19.29) for another night in the basic room.
**I’ve paid for 180 days of medical insurance coverage in Thailand and am breaking it out per day here. When I leave, I will adjust these posts for actual costs based on the number of days I stay in the country.
I’m continuously trying to figure out how best to provide the most useful information, so if you have any ideas please let me know; you can comment/DM on social media, below, or send me an email (MeanderingMax@gmail.com). I appreciate your support!