I’m so happy I ended up making my way to Koh Phi Phi. There were a number of other times I thought about it on this trip to Thailand, but it just didn’t workout. The timing was a big part of this being so special though; I met a lot of wonderful people, both locals and travelers, so I guess this was the time for me to go. If you compare the costs below to other posts it might seem a bit high, but it was really very reasonable. It was by far the fullest experience I’ve had in terms of activities, socializing, and the accommodations were very good; especially the Phi Phi Banyan Villa. This was a 21-night stay…
- Accommodation – $569.13* (additional information below)
- Getting around locally – $0
- Living expenses – $360.16 (groceries and eating out)
- Activities – $56.59 (2 boat trips and 2 entries to Viewpoints 1&2)
- Mobile phone/data – $84.09
- Medical insurance = $82.23** (additional infromation below)
Total $1,152.20 / 21 nights = $54.87 per Transportation to and from varies too much, so I’ve left it out along with most incidental/one-time personal costs; in this case, the Avitar Resort boat brought me to the Ao Nam Mao pier where I had a taxi waiting to take me to Krabi Town for a rapid covid test (500 baht/ US $16 at Meesuk Labs) and then to the pier in Krabi Town to take a speed boat to Koh Phi Phi. Total costs for the transit part of this, excluding the covid test, were about US $42. All other standard day to day expenses are included to give an idea of how much basic living costs in the area. Groceries will sometimes include basic personal care items (i.e. toothpaste, deodorant, contact solution/drops, etc.).
- The first 3 nights were at the PP Charlie for US $48.23 total. The pool was beautiful and location is good, but the standard rooms left a lot to be desired and upgrades were a bit expensive compared to what else was available.
- The last 18 nights were at the Phi Phi Banyan Villa for a total of US $520.90. This included a great breakfast, spacious and comfortable room, nice pool, and excellent location.